Saturday, October 9, 2010
WATER: The Staff of Life
A few Interesting facts about water…..
• Water is the only substance on earth that naturally exists in three states (solid, liquid, gas).
• March 22 is World Water Day, as declared by the United Nations.
• 97.5% of the water on Earth is salty. 1% of that is brackish.
• 2.5% of the Earths water is fresh.
• Water expands by 9% when it freezes.
• By the time you feel thirsty, your body has already lost more than one percent of its total water.
• A person can live for over a month without food, but only about three days without water.
• 66% of the human body is water.
• 75% of the human brain is water.
• A living tree is 75% water.
• Americans use about 100 gallons of water each day.
• In the US, the average person pays 25 cents for their water each day.
• Many women in 3rd world countries walk an average of 3.7 miles each day to get potable water.
• In many developing countries, private vendors are the only way to get safe drinking water, which charge up to ten times more than piped water would cost. In many African cities, up to 80% of the population gets their water this way. In Namibia, up to 20 percent of the family income is spent on water (plus, they have to pay to use the toilet).
• Globally, 69% of withdrawn water is for agriculture, 23% is for industrial purposes and 8% is for domestic purposes.
• 80% of diseases in developing countries are water-related.
• 60% of infant mortality is linked to infectious and parasitic diseases, most of which are waterborne.
Stay healthy, mind-body-spirit! -Z